Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"She is done for the day..."

"She is done for the day..." are the words the school nurse said to me when she called me to come pick Alexis up from school today. When I got her, she said to me "Mommy, I tried to stay as long as I could but I just couldn't stay any longer". I knew she wasn't kidding. As she walked up to me in the school she looked awful. I didn't think she was going to make it to the car. I hate that she tries to stick it out so long. I wish she would go to the nurse as soon as she starts to feel yucky because it rarely ever goes away quickly. 

Since the PICC line was put in - 13 days ago - Alexis has only made it through 2 full school days. All the rest I had to either bring her late or pick her up early. Last week was a rough one. Alexis only made it through one full day of school. Monday we started the week off right - Lex stayed all day and felt okay when I picked her up.

Yesterday (Tuesday) Alexis' nurse came before school to take her blood work and change her PICC line dressing. Every time Lex gets this done she gets very sick. She gets as pale as a ghost, light-headed, dizzy and nausious. I don't know if it's from having so much blood taken or just from the anxiety of having the dressing changed but it's awful. Once the nurse was done Alexis was able to lay down for a while and go to school an hour late.


Yesterday was a big day for Alexis - she got to practice with her softball team again. She has been going to every practice and game, watching from the sideline. Every single day she begged to play again, until she realized her arm was still so sore and that she just couldn't physically do it yet. Yesterday she was up to it. We wrapped her arm up very well and let her get some practice in. She was more happy than she's been in a long time.

Naturally, I was worried the whole time and checked up on her many times throughout the practice but she did just fine. She needed that. She needed to throw that ball again with her friends and not just watch from the side.

Tonight she was supposed to have a game. Although it isn't raining right now, it did rain all day and the game was canceled. Alexis (and Scottie) aren't happy that it got canceled but I am because Alexis wasn't feeling 100% this afternoon and probably wouldn't have been able to play - meaning once again she'd have to watch from the side. Now Alexis can rest tonight and hopefully be up to practicing with her team again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment