Friday, May 18, 2012

"All for you, Lexi!"

Today Alexis felt pretty good all morning. She went to school and couldn't wait for us to come see her sing at her Spring Concert.

While Alexis was at school, Dr S called us and said he had Lex's lab results from this week. Her white blood cell count dropped dramatically in just a week. He thinks (and hopes) the antibiotics caused it to happen but there's no way to know right now. He wants to test her again once she has been off the antibiotics for 2 weeks. In the meantime, Dr S told us to be very careful with her because she could be more prone to getting sick right now. So we are keeping an extra close eye on her. He also said that as she comes off of this medication her body is going to go through a lot of changes. This could also make her feel crumby.

This afternoon Scottie, Kaelynn, Makenzie and I headed over to Lex's school for her concert. Alexis looked like she was having so much fun. She smiled at me the entire time. I couldn't wait to hear her solo! Before the song starts the soloists are supposed to walk up on stage by the microphones. A couple songs into it I knew it was Lex's song because I had a copy of the program. There were four girls with solos for this song, so all four girl were supposed to walk up on the stage right before the song starts. I saw the other three girls go up, but Alexis didn't move. I was a little confused. Was she not feeling well? Was she too nervous? Did she ask the music teacher if she could not do it? After a couple minutes of complete silence, her music teacher prompted her to go up on the stage. Alexis forgot. She completely forgot to go up there. Most parents might think to themselves - "Ahh, kids forget everything - it's no big deal". Not my Alexis though. She doesn't forget things like that. She is a cheerleader - a very good cheerleader. She has always been so on top of knowing where she has to be and when. She knows to look out for those certain ques and things like that. It was very out of character for Alexis to just forget to go up on stage. Anyone who really knows Alexis knows what I mean. So while others were watching and not thinking of it - I felt so sad to see that the Lyme Disease has affected her in one more way. The neurological lyme disease has taken over my daughter's life and it's so frustrating. I feel like Alexis is changing into a completely different little girl.

Aside from forgetting to go up on stage, Alexis did an amazing job. The concert was beautiful and a lot of fun. We took Lex out of school after the concert because the day was basically over with anyways. Lex came home and rested before her softball game. She had been looking forward to this game all week. She knew she was having a good week and really felt she would be able to play. When we got to the field I wrapped up Alexis' arm and she started throwing the ball with one of her closest friends and teammate. She was feeling great and so excited to play.

About a half hour before the game was supposed to start Lex came walking over to the side where I was sitting. She had a scared look on her face so I immediately  asked her what was wrong. She was holding her chest and saying she couldn't breathe. I told her to stop walking and just sit as I ran over to her. Luckily, this softball team is more of a family. I didn't even hesitate to leave Makenzie and Kaelynn while I ran over to Alexis because I knew the other parents would help me with them - that's exactly what they did.

Alexis was very short of breath and said it hurt when she would breathe in. She doesn't have asthma and this has never happened before. I didn't know what to make of it all and I honestly didn't know what to do. When this started she wasn't running around or doing much of anything. She was standing in a line waiting for her turn to catch the ball. It was so weird that this came out of no where. As we sat there together the pains in her chest would come and go, and out of no where she would become short of breath again. I was getting scared and I only gave it minutes to get better before I was going to take her to the emergency room.

The game was about to start so there was no way Alexis could play. I ended up taking her out of the dugout and bringing her over by me and the other parents to sit and relax. The pains in her chest were lightening up until they finally went away completely. Again, this whole thing probably lasted about 20 minutes but it really did feel like a lifetime. I hate seeing her under any kind of stress. Lex ended up not playing the whole game. Even after she felt better she didn't want to play because she was afraid the pains would come back again. That was perfectly fine with me because I was scared too.

In the beginning of the game and in between each inning the girls all stand together in a circle while Coach Mike talks to them. When he is done the girls always say "One, Two, Three - Angels! Angels! Angels!" During this game, the girls yelled "One, Two, Three - Angels! Angels! Angels! All For You, Lexi!!!". When I heard it the first time I wasn't sure I heard them right. Then when they did it a second time I knew that's what they were saying. It completely melted my heart. Not only do we have such a great support system as a whole, but Alexis has an amazing support system within her own peers. She is one lucky little girl.

Throughout the game and the rest of the night the chest pains never came back. Thank God. I wasn't sure what to think of it. I'm still not sure what to think of it. I will be very happy if that never happens again but I am going to continue to keep an extra close eye on her.

We gave Alexis her very last dose of intravenous Rocephin. When her IV beeped, telling us it was done, Alexis started yelling and cheering! It was over with. After 28 days of sitting there every night for 40 minutes while she received her medicine, it was finally over with. To me the 4 weeks went by really fast but I don't think Alexis would say the same. It was a rough 4 weeks for her but she did it. I couldn't be more proud of her. The way she has handled all of this is simply amazing.

In the morning Alexis' nurse will be coming to our house to take out the PICC line. It can't come soon enough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment