Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Last Out

Before bed last night I put cream on Alexis' arm and wrapped it up in gauze pads. When we took it off this morning Lex's arm looked much better than it did yesterday. It was definitely starting to heal. I can't wait until Alexis doesn't have to worry about that arm at all anymore. We left it open all day to air out but before Lex's game tonight I put neosporin on it and wrapped it back up. She didn't like the way the hydro-cortisone made it feel last night. The neosporin seemed to work much better.

Alexis couldn't wait for this game tonight. It was the first game she would play since the PICC line has been taken out. It was really her first time playing in a while because of how crumby she's felt the past couple weeks. She was so excited that she put her uniform on 2 hours before we had to leave! As the game started, Alexis was still feeling good. It was such a sigh of relief. I just wanted her to be able to make it through this game and have fun doing it.

Alexis got up to bat for the first time. She looked so confident standing at that plate. I was so nervous for her but she didn't have a worry in the world. After a couple pitches, Alexis hit the ball. It was such an amazing hit. I couldn't be more proud of my little girl. You wouldn't have been able to tell she barely played at all the past 4 weeks. It was such a great way for her to get back into the game.

Alexis felt good throughout the rest of the game and her arm didn't bother her at all. I was so relieved. It was great to see her play, but even better to see her play an entire game. I was so proud of her. Unfortunately, the ending to this game wasn't the greatest for Alexis. Her team was losing 1-0. There were 2 outs and the bases were loaded. Alexis was up at bat. There were a couple ways this could go - but she struck out. She was so upset. I knew how disappointed she was going to be. No girl wants to make that last out for their team - but it happens to them all. Her teammates were even reminding her of times it happened to them. Alexis felt like she ruined it for her team though. I know she didn't ruin it and I kept telling her that. She didn't want to hear it. I also kept reminding her about that amazing hit she had but she was stuck on beating herself up.

When we got home all she wanted to do was go to sleep. When I unwrapped her arm I noticed it was still looking much better. I'm so glad it getting better so quickly. I think I'm going to wrap it up tomorrow for school just to protect it from getting dirty and all but she shouldn't have to do this for too much longer. Within minutes of laying down Alexis passed out. Although she thought the game was the worst thing in the world, I am still so excited and proud of her. So much good came out of that game. I'm pretty sure she will realize it tomorrow when she isn't so focused on being that last out. Plus, she has a game tomorrow and a couple more this week alone so she will be able to make up for it! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment