Thursday, May 3, 2012

Helpless.

Alexis didn't make it to school today. She had a really rough morning. For the first couple hours she was curled up in a ball on the couch. She gets these strong pains in her stomach accompanied by really bad migraines. She has been getting daily headaches from the lyme disease but these ones are much worse. She also gets nauseous and dizzy many times throughout the day.

Alexis' nurse who comes to our house says these are all side affects from the medicine she is taking. I do believe her, but I am taking Lex to the doctor on Monday just to make sure everything is going okay. The antibiotic is called ceftriaxone, also known as rocephin. I've done a lot of research on this medicine and found that these side affects are common. It still kills me to see my little girl go through this though. I feel like Alexis is experiencing just about all of the potential side affects that go along with this antibiotic. Tomorrow will be 2 week since she started the treatment, which means she is half way done. Thank God.

I'm worried about her missing so much school. She is having a hard enough time - missing so much work is only going to make it harder. Tomorrow Alexis is supposed to take a science test. The teacher isn't giving them anything to study from, she wants them to take the test from memory. Alexis said to me "Mom, I don't think I have any memory anymore. How am I supposed to take this test?!" Like I always do - I told her to just try her hardest. As long as she does, I don't care what the grade is. I'm hoping her teacher won't make her take the test though because she has barely been at school all week. She only made it through one full day of school so far this week - and only one full day last week too. Next week she has testing so I am going to try my hardest to make sure she makes it through testing.

I feel so helpless. When she starts to feel sick there is pretty much nothing I can do to help her. Over the counter medicines don't help the migraines or stomach pains. She has to just lay down, in the dark and wait for it to go away. Putting a cold towel on her forehead and the back of her neck seems to help when she is feeling nauseous and dizzy, but that's just about it. I would do anything to take all of this away from her. I want nothing more than for Alexis to feel like an average kid again.

No comments:

Post a Comment